Sunday, January 27, 2013

But I've never written a lecture before . . .

One of my tasks for developing an online course is writing scripts for videos I'll be recording. This is a new experience. Even though I've been teaching for a little while now, I've never written a lecture. The notes I write when I prep for class are generally an outline and questions to pose to the class. The scripts are important though, to provide a transcript for anyone who has a disability where the videos are an inaccessible part of the course.

Sitting down and writing these scripts for what are essentially mini-lectures (each one will be 5-10 minutes) has been a struggle. When I do spend a great deal of time talking in class, it is extemporaneous, and often in response to a student question or to elaborate on a point that was brought up in class discussion. Both of those approaches make writing lectures ahead of time a bit difficult.  

As I write these mini-lectures, I try to imagine myself seated in a circle with my students, which is my usual approach to discussion-based classes. As I reread the lectures I have written so far using this approach, they seem to be a closer match to my extemporaneous teaching style.  My hope for students watching these mini-lecture videos don't feel like they are watching static, scripted speeches. 

I am sure that like any thing else, lecturing writing is a skill, and with time and practice, hopefully my efforts will show improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment